Wednesday, July 3, 2013

SLP Summer

I have been accepted into the SLP program for Fall 2013. After some minor issues, just my transcript not arriving on time, I was one of the 70 selected to for the this year's cohort. I am beyond thrilled. And relieved!   My degree will be in Speech Language Pathology & Audiology. From this I will need to enroll in graduate school and receive my master's degree before I can practice.

The classes this fall are a lot of background in SLP that I'm excited to take. I will be taking:
  • Intro to Human Communication & Disorder
  • Language Development in Children
  • Phonetics of American English 
  • Articulation and Phonological Disorders
  • Anatomy and Physiology I & A&P Lab Component 
  • Hearing Science
I am excited about all of them which is really comforting and makes me feel like I made the correct choice. I have orientation coming up in the end of July and I will register classes and receive my student ID card, etc. Until then I've taken care of the small incidentals like getting vaccinated and tested for Tuberculosis. James very sweetly treated me to a Fishamajig afterwards since I didn't cry or nothin'. The reward from being 8 still work when I'm 28, which is good to know. Also, after the appointment I walked to the nearest library and hid among the books. The apple does not fall far. James laughed when I told him I took out a few more titles; my current checked-out total is somewhere in the double digits.

My other school related summer project is to do research into getting an iPad. My  current laptop is beginning to fail (I have had it for three years) and it's driving me crazy! I know that there are lots SLP-related apps and the like for iPad. In fact, right before Dad passed away he was going to get one to help him. I also really like the interface and ease of transport. It's the pricetag I'm not thrilled about! I know some of our family members have iPads so I would love to hear your thoughts on them (tell me the good, the bad, and the ugly!)

James is working a summer job for the school district and seems to be really enjoying it. I know it's better than being at home for the summer, which drives him crazy every year.

In other news, we finally got a grill and have been BBQing as often as we can. It's been monsoon season here in the city and the poor Beagle hates every second of it. (I'm working on a beagle photo post so just you wait!)







No comments:

Post a Comment